I've realized that one of the things designers are most interested in is to hear how their peers have managed to have media success and learn how it has impacted their interior design businesses. To paint that picture I decided to start a series of interviews with designers that have experience with PR and are open to share their successes, failures and lessons in using it. The goal is to provide inspiration, insights and learnings that can help you determine if and how PR may work for your business.
My first guest is Pamela Durkin, ASID, LEED AP ID+C, from Pamela Durkin Designs. I recently had a chat with her on Instagram about the power of PR and let me tell you, she's a pro. (And she has the best glasses!)
Please tell me the 3 most important things about yourself and your business.
Pam: I’m a 30-year design veteran. My clients are high net worth individuals who move to Naples, FL to enjoy their 2nd, 3rd or 4th home.
One of the questions I get most often from interior designers who are interested in getting press is:
Where do I even start?
Let me take you back to the very basics because, as you may know, I believe that the magic bullet for smashing PR success is going back to fundamentals, doing them well, and doing them consistently. Here are the three areas you want to focus on and some practical tips to get started.
- Have a website that reflects your brand and has all the info a journalist would need: Who you are, what you do, where you are, projects, press, contact.
- Have a social media presence that’s aligned with your website and brand. Be active, share about yourself & your work.
- Media coverage isn’t just going to happen. At least, it’s highly unlikely.
- Connect on social media
- Follow editors and freelancers on social, interact and engage with them. Respectfully!
- Generally, pitch your stories/projects to them via email. Only...
Download my FREE in-depth guide that explains the 5 simple steps to get you quoted as a design expert in notable publication like Forbes, Apartment Therapy, Better Homes & Gardens and many more.